Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/4/2017

How much should I pay to get a gargage torn down, it is a one car gargage in a half.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here is a previous similar question with answer FYI - around $2000-4000 is a common number, as is $2-5/SF for detached garages.

Generally, depending on transportation issues (how far to landfill) and local landfill fees (which can vary from $10-20/truckload to well over $100/ton in different areas) and of course if the foundation is being scrapped too (required in some areas, not others, when demolsihing a building so check code requirements). And of course construction materials - cinderblock walls cost a lot more to dispose of than wood framed.

This of course assumes the garage is not supporting the house - if an attached garage you might have some remedial support work to do (especially modifying roofing gable end) and commonly putting insulation and siding on the now-exterior house wall, which of course adds to that cost.

Also assumes no hazardous materials - add in lead paint or asbestos siding or insulation and your costs can go up an additional 10-300% that I have seen, depending on nature of the hazardous material and how "friable" it is - i.e. how easily particles become airborne in demolition, Sometimes just spraying with wster takes care of it, other time requires individual piece-by-piece deconstruction by hand in extreme cases.

And of course, with attached garages you sometimes have utilities (water lines, furnace/water heater, water and gas piping, floor drains, etc) to move around or terminate, and commonly the breaker box is there so that can bring about either major rewiring work or building a protective enclosure for that - in some areas that has to be part of the conditioned space ofthe house (I strongly recommned that over an outdoors location) so requires build a small addition to enclose the panel and provide access to the house from the utility closet.

Note in most areas you need a permit for this - usually a "building permit" from the building department but sometimes from a Health or Environmental Quality agency.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy