Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/2/2016

How do I keep the snow from coming in my roof vents? There is an inch wide gap at the apex of my roof.

When I had roof vents installed, the guy cut off an inch of so of the apex and installed the vent over that -- and that was it. I find that snow now comes in to the attic with every storm since it is very windy here and we are situated at a high elevation. Is there some sort of air permeable solution to keeping the snow out?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Actually the slot in the sheathing should normally have been 1-1/2 to 3 inches wide for proper ventilation - I have never seen one calling for just a 1 inch slot. Varies by manufacturer, and of course also significantly if you have a ridge board (down the center of the ridge, so the slot is on both sides ofthe ridge board).

Anyway, sounds like you probably have one of the vents where you can see right through it - or a coarse mesh rollout type. For your conditions you need a snow baffled vent, not a mesh type, and one rated for snow - like GAF Cobra Snow Country Advanced or similar, with baffles and drain channels so the snow gets trapped before getting to the cutout and also so it has free drainage tothe outside as it melts, which generally means a good deal higher profile than a normal rollout mesh type. In particular, for high-wind areas with dry snow (very likely since you said high elevation), you need a type with wind deflector baffles at the lower edges, so the wind flowing up the roof hits the baffle and shoots up over the vent, which also creates a partial vacuum so it pulls the air out of the attic even better - like this (oprogression of three sketches) -


Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy