Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/8/2018

How much to charge pipe break in laundry room and leaked to the garage of the neighbor ?

Pipe broke in my laundry room
And leaked to the neighbor garage ,
What would be the emergency procedure?
How much it would cost ?
The house is very small of 1000 sq ft
What type of machines can you use to dry up the leak ??

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If just an on-the-floor leak just a fraction of an inch deep at the walls, not saturating the walls, use broom/squeegee to push water to a floor drain or to a low point where you pick it up with wet and dry shop vac, then wet-and-dry vacuum or squeegee the floor as dry as possible. Then with windows open (without freezing the area) use 20" or so (about $25-50 each at box stores) or commercial 36-60" fans (rent for about $15-20/day at tool rental places) to air it out for a few days, to dry the base of the walls. After a good week or more additional drying with normal house ventilation, then touch up paint as needed.

Of course, this assumes any soaked flooring which is not grouted down (tile, stone) has been taken up and, unless reusable snap-joint all-plastic plank, disposed of.

Unless the "damage" is just a very few wetted things and wet floor, generally this would merit an insurance claim - especially if flooring which will mold/rot got wet and needs replacement. Some insurance companies have lists of companies which routinely work with them doing this type of remediation.

Also, unless the neighbor is real friendly and amenable to your clearing up the problem in his garage, you should contact your insurance company to be sure he is kept happy. There is also the security issue of any contractors working for you also working in his/her place.

Normal Search the List category to find well-rated and reviewed vendors for this type of work is Water & Smoke Damage - both for the drying out and the repair.

Cost can run anything from typically $500 range for a typical vacuum up and dry-out WITHOUT any drying out of wall interiors or removing flooring or repairs or such, more commonly $500-1000 and on up additional for flooring removal and drying out wall interiors if needed, and replacements/repairs of course can run from $500-1000 ange for pretty minimal work on up depending on amount of damage if the water got deep or damaged a lot of possessions and such or got into the firebox of water heater or furnace or such.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy