Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/18/2015

How much does it cost to elevate a 1000 sq foot house

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Depends on a ton of things - can run from a few hundred for a simple jacking up of one or two existing piers to level a low spot in the floor, several to around five thousand for a simple jack-up of a rectangle house with good framing and minimal utility connections to add a few rows of concrete block or an small increment of wood or concrete foundation wall to basically just level a house, to more like $5-20,000 commonly to raise it a foot or couple or to move it laterally to a new foundation, to as much as $50-100,000 or more to raise a Gulf Coast nearshore house 10-20 feet on steel piles to be able to make it eligible for FEMA hurricane flooding insurance. And depends on by "elevating" do your mean jacking it to higher final elevation, or leaving it basically where it is and adding a basement (full or daylight) under it ?

And of course, the construction matters too - simple full width floor joists on a rectangular house not too toough, convoluted floorplan layout or with center supporting beam or worse many supporting piers obviously increases the number of supporting beams needed to lift it. And of course, are you looking at just lifting, or moving it sideways too ?

In most areas, you will need a plan signed off on by a structural engineer to do this (though some housemoving/jacking companies have one affiliated with them that do all their structural calcs and plans; or for larger company even have one on staff - then (he may be able to suggest one or two) a housemover and general contractor or a foundation repair company to do the work, as applicable.

IF you respond back (using the Answer This Question link right below your question) about more details of what exactly you are trying to accomplish and why, might be able to give a better picture of what you are getting into.

Certainly, once a definitive plan has been arrived at (with help from engineer/architect), then you could get bids from several companies which would tell you just what range your specific job falls into.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy