Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/15/2017

How much would it cost to move a furnace like 5 or 6 feet?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Almost guaranteed to be thousands, nor hundreds, if that was what you were thinking. And below rough ballparks assume any wall/duct relocation work are in framed ceilings/walls, not solid brick or concrete, which would crank the cost up.

Depends a lot on your physical layout, whether shortening or lengthening gas and electric and duct runs, etc - and of course if having to extend firewalls if required. To move the electric and gas supply to it, I would say ROUGH BALLPARK probably around $300 give or take $100 or so EACH (as applicable) for those, around $300 or so to relocate wood platform if applicable (if in garage) or probably more like $500-600 range to build a new one if needed in new location.

The exhaust flue can be relatively easy if you have adequate headroom for the required slope to a new connection point - in other cases with close clearances or having to tie in with an existing water heater flue too can be much more. It can mean as little as maybe $300 for the flue changes, to as much as a couple of thousand $ if he cannot just run a new flue connection to the original vertical flue section.

Then, for actually relocating the furnace (talking forced air here) can be as little as around $1000-1500 if simple single supply and return ducts in the furnace area - I have also seen flex duct "octopus" nightmares which would probably take $2000 range or even more to effect the relocation. Bear in mind also, that in most cases we are talking moving the furnace and running ducting to the existing furnace location, so you would still be looking at ducting in the overhead subfloor or suspended from it - to go to the old space being exposed duct-free can sometimes run a thousand or two more -like if turning the old location into living space. Depends a LOT of duct size required and if the floor joists run the right way to hide them in between - relocation to a point where the connecting ducts have to run crosswise to the floor joists can be VERY expensive if the ducts cannot be left hanging (exposed or in a concealing soffit or bumpout).

If you need new fire rated walls around or partly it, then probably generally $1000-1500 range for that including painting and such - roughly a third to half that if just bare drywall in a utility room or garage.

You need to get a few quotes from Heating and A/C contractors for the relocation - they may well tell you what utility relocation and firewall changes are needed but say you need to get those done yourself, so getting Remodeling - General Contractors in to give you a quote might be a better way to go so all the work can be under one contract.

And of course, if an older unit, you need to consider that you are paying a very good percentage of the installation cost of a new unit in doing the move, so it is commonly a smart time to put in a new unit - which may also save some relocation cost if you get a high-efficiency unit with direct venting rather than possibly having to spend a lot on exhaust flue changes. In some cases, the only added cost over the relocation-only option would be the cost of the new unit - typically in the $2000 plus or minus range for normal efficiency, or more like $3000-5000 for high to very high efficiency. Not cheap, but if the unit is old and nearing its useful life, can be a smart decision versus having to go through major new installation cost maybe just a couple or few years down the road when the old unit dies.

Depending on how complex this move is, and especially if moving into living space, it might pay to have an Architect work out the configuration and changes needed - who can also prepare a rough cost estimate so you know better what your reasonable cost range for this is.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy