Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/1/2016

How much does it cost to remove a possible Load Bearing Wall?

I read through the related questions but was unable to find an actual answer.

My home is 3 stories including the attic, was built in the 1940's and when you go into the basement there is a single concrete beam down there holding up the 3 stories. It is on the intersection of the living room, dining room, and kitchen walls (all of the walls on the first story). I'd like to remove the wall between the dining room and kitchen since my kitchen is a galley and a pain to cook in. I'd like to do the majority of the remodel myself, but am not comfortable removing this wall on my own. If the cost of removing this wall is too much I won't even redo the kitchen. Currently the gas stove as well as the fridge with a small water pipe connected to it are on that wall. I would also need someone able to move the gas range to the side wall. I am willing to have a pole go up through where the wall is currently and build an island around it.

Does anyone have a ballpark guess for the price range?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


As I read this, you are not talking about taking out the concrete beam - you are talking about opening up the floor above, not in the basement - right ? If talking about cutting out part of the concrete beam you definitely need to talk to a Structural Engineer - and except probably $3-6,000 for the wall removal and replacement support part with any new construction of the remodel.

Since you are talking DIY you need a Structural Engineer to tell you what you can do and what sort of replacement supportw will be needed.

Now - assuming you are talking about taking out a wall on the first floor, overlying the concrete beam - you are definitely going to need a Remodeling - General Contractor to do the remodel work if not DIY'ing it.

For the piping work Plumber of course would be your Search the List category, and Electrician for the electrical connection.

This has been a popular subject lately - so here are links to a bunch of related previous questions with answers - note some relate to load bearing, some non-load bearing walls, but also read the parts on how some non-load bearing walls actually are somewhat bearing load and on limiting the deflections of the overlying floors. For about $250-500 Structural Engineer can tell you if your wall is load bearing and design replacement support for the removed zone - and can also tell you if you are likely to get excessive normal sag from the overlying floor or attic joists deflecting. The latter is a common problem, where the overlying joists or trusses might span the entire house but the middle sits on a "non load bearing" wall. Removing that intermediate longitudinal hall wall miht be structurally OK - but can result in the long-term deflections of the joists or trusses increasing by a factor of 4 or so - so potentially up to a couple of inches in a normal 20-some to 30-some span length. Take my word for it - a 1+ to 2+" sag in a ceiling looks REAL bad - generally anything over about 1/2" is noticeable, and over 1" generally makes people uneasy and evokes commnets from visitors.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD


Hi, this is Ann with Angie's List. Here is some additional information on removing and replacing a load-bearing wall:

You can find a provider on Angie’s List, or feel free to give us a call at 1-888-944-5478.


Answered 4 years ago by AGregson

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy