Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/31/2015

How much does it cost to replace a window air conditioner?

The old window air conditioner does not work anymore. A new window air conditioner is available. I need the old unit replaced with the new unit.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


To just install a window air conditioner in a window (assuming the pre-existing hole is there, or the new air conditioner will fit where the old one was), a Heating and A/C contractor (your Search the List category to find well-rated and reviewed vendors for this) can handle the installation and putting in side panel insulating kits (like from Natures Cooling, Frost King, or AnyAir - google to see what they look like - usually like a flexible PVC accordion door) to fill the unused opening space. This assumes the electric connection is adequate for the new unit - likely is if you previously had a similar capacity unit there.

Or if unit will fit in window OK, but you want a more permanent surrounding panel around it in the remaining open window space, or want an awning or shed roof over the window to keep out rain, you could have an HVAC contractor install the unit then a Handyman to do the enclosure. If just an insert in the opening and plug-and-go window conditioner, handyman could probably handle it all.

If the new unit will not fit in the open window, or this is ground floor or over a readily accessible roof (like it sounds your case is) so you want higher security than the normal filler panels around the unit, you have two choices - the Handyman above (assuming you know one who does good looking work). Or a Remodeling - General Contractor can handle electrical (if needed) and window removal and putting in A/C and closing up the space with siding or such. Larger HVAC companies will sometimes also do this type of complete install job, but not many.

Bear in mind doing this is not legal if that is a legal egress window under code - so even if you do it for your own use (if contractor will violate code) be sure it is done (and myabe save window if removed) so it can be reversed easily come resale time.

Cost - not counting the A/C unit itself - commonly $200-300 for a simple slip-in to an opening window including putting in weather/insulating panels to fill the rest of the opening, more like $500-1000 to remove the window and "build-in" the unit.

Here are a couple of related previous questions with answers FYI:

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy