Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/28/2013

How much would it cost to run a 220 volt line

Includes installing breaker

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


Going to ask a stupid question - are you sure you do not already have 220V ? Most houses, unless VERY old, have 220 volt run to the panel. Half the breakers run off 110V on one side of the 220, the other half on the other 110V side, and both use the common neutral. Also, not sure if you are talking justt adding a 220V circuit, or bringing 220 to a 110V services house. Will try to answer both.

If you have a standard off-the-shelf electric range or clothes dryer or water heater then you have 220. If you look in your breaker panel the breakers for 220V appliances will be double breakers - two adjacent on-off switches hooked together with a connector. Another way to tell is to open up the cover (if they have not put a security seal on it) and look at your outside master breaker - if you have 110V feed you will have one, if 220 then there will be a double connected breaker. Also, if you have overhead feed, look where it enters the house - at the weatherhead (gooseneck where the wires enter conduit at the house), if you have 1 or 2 wires (plus probably a bare galvanized suspension wire) then110V; 220V will have three or four (one may be bare) equal-sized wires going into the weatherhead, plus the suspension cable.

Of course another easy way is to call your utility company - their records should show what voltage and amperage capacity your service is.

If 220 to the house is the case, then it is just a case (assuming your panel has the current capacity and unused breaker spots) of putting in a double breaker (uses both 110V sides) and running the wiring and outlet receptacle. Probably about $100-200 in materials and 4200-300 for labor if you are doing one circuit, going a pretty short distance from the panel, and not including repair of any walls he has to poke through. (easily triple or quadruple that total if your panel does not have capacity to add another 220 circuit without upsizing)

If you truly have 110V to the house from the electric company transformer, get an estimate from them to run the upgraded service - generally, they want to install from their transformer to your meter. The good news is that they will commonly do that upgrade for free or only a couple hundred dollars on an existing house, assuming they will recover the cost in added electric usage charges. On a new service, in our area they charge about $2000-3000, depending on whether overhead or buried. However, your entire service and maybe your panel will probably have to be replaced, plus running 220 to wherever you want it within the house. This will cost at least $2000 more - likely much more.

The actual 220V service feed to your meter cost can run from about 10/LF for overhead cable to double that underground, assuming your have pretty direct access and are within about 200 feet of the utilities' nearest transformer.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD


I'm assuming you want to add something to your existing panel like a circuit for a hot tub or pool, etc. For a 50 amp service you'll generally need 6 guage cable. 6-3 runs $1.77 a foot at the electrical supply house here, more at some of the box stores usually. Since I don't know how far you are needing the line run, what amperage you need, if it's going to be buried, run in conduit along the wall, put in the wall and/or attic, etc. I can't tell you how much it would cost beyond that since every scenario is different. The breaker price will depend on the brand and availability of breakers for your box. Zinsco breakers, for example, have gotten harder to find around here since they haven't been made in so many years. There was at least one panel made by that company in the early 70's that no other breakers are compatible with. If this is the case you will be putting in a new panel. Also, if the panel can not support the additional load you will be changing the panel. Just because a panel has open slots does not mean you can add to it. The existing load has to be calculated to determine if it can handle more.

Call a couple of electricians and get prices for the work you have done. That's really the only accurate way to find out what it'll cost. There are too many variables to give you a ballpark without seeing it or being in your area to know what master electrician's rates are there.

Todd Shell

Todd's Home Services

San Antonio, TX

Answered 7 years ago by Todd's Home Services


how much would it cost to run 220 volt line in a house

Answered 3 years ago by carol71

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy