Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/1/2013

How much should it cost to run a sump pump drain away from the house?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


In almost all jurisdictions, running sump pump water into sewers is illegal, so you have to use a lined swale or gutter to drain it away from the house, or if you are in a hole with no "downhill" available, a drain pipe to a perforated drain field or drywell a good distance away from the house.

Depends a lot on your topography, what type of basement/floor support system you have and direction it runs, where you need to get to for the water to not come back to the house, etc.

Assuming you already have the sump pump installed and presumably it dumps outside right next to the foundation, it can run from a couple of hundred $ to pipe it through an unfinished basement and outside to a side of the house where it will immediately run away downhill, to a few hundred $ to dig and line (with plastic liner or clay) an exit swale away from the house in downhill direction, to $1000+ if you are tightly constrained by higher ground or closeby houses that would flood, so you have to pipe it some distance away and then install an infiltration well or leach field. The pricing on the latter solution can vary a lot depending on depth of frost penetration in your area, as the entire pipe an leach destination has to be protected from freezing - so quite cheap on the Gulf of Mexico shore area, for instance, to quite pricey in the northern tier states.

Look at where you can safely get rid of the water and what it takes to get there, then Search Angie's List for contractors in your area and reviews. If simple plumbing in the house to get it to a low side, either a plumber, sewer and drain contractor, or handyman. If a swale or ditch is needed, then a handyman or landscaper or general excavation contractor. If a leach field or dryweel needed, then probably a general excavationcontractor with expertise in drain fields, or a sewer and drain contractor. Of course, in all cases a General Contractor could do it, but sort of overkill for this type job to use a general contractor.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy