Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/14/2017

How much to have the electric meter box re-attached to the house?

Wind storm detached and bent mast at the roof and tore the box from the house. About a 2 to 3 inch gap. Cameron Park, CA

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here are some previous similar questions with answers whjich should put you in the ballpark - biggest variables to cost are whether the mast needs to be replaced (yes if kink-bent rather than just a slight smooth bend in it), whether the wires insulation or splices were damaged due to the strain on them, and whether the box or wires leading to it were damaged. Could e as low as about $200-300, could be more in the $500 range - or high by maybe 50-100% if the weatehrhead splice is considered "your" responsibility and has to be redone, or if the utility has to come and disconnect the wires for the electrician to replace the service drop from the weatherhead or the mast.

And since the mast bent, obviously you need either a heavier duty mast, or far more commonly (and mandated by code in many areas) a tension grip on the incoming line tied back to the structurer of the house (commonly an eye bolt into a roof rafter) - to take the bulk of the lead from the line pulling in the wind or due to a tree or branch falling. The reason for that is to force any =line break from pulling to occur in the service drop from the power pole to your house, rather then in the wiring at the house - to limit the risk of a fire being caused at your house or electrocution in the house due to wires coming loose or being damaged between the weatherhead and the electrical panel, where they are not protected by breakers. It is considered preferable for the incoming line to break instead (and is certainly cheaper to repair in most cases).

Responses cover just remounting the meter box, replacing the mast,, and replacing the meter box so pick the one most likely to match your case - but taken together they give a pretty good idea of the potential price range you might be seeing.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy