Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/10/2012

How do u file in small claims court on a contractor, already paid in full -left and promise to return in 3 wks to finish (March 10,2012 )

I hired a paint contractor March 10, 2012..He stated it would only take him 2 days It took 5 and still did not paint 2 rooms, there are touch ups in every room that need to be finished, I paid him in full and he promise to return in 3 weeks (because he had other jobs already booked) I had sent him text messages and left messages on his company phone and never recieved any return calls. So one day I blocked my # and called and he answer and told me how sorry he eas and would see me within in the week and finish. A week went by he called and said they could come the next week and I told him that would be fine, a no show. So i started calling and leaving messages again and as before no return calls. How do I file in small claims court against to recieve my money back in order to get my house finished. Do i have to go to his town or can I file on him in my town.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I am not an attorney but in Nebr you go down to small claims court with your checkbook and the name and address of the person you wish to sue. They charge a fee $25 here, and give you court documents you must send to the person you are suing (they require a signiture or several delivery attempts as sufficient. You send the the court your proof of delivery ( a green postal reciept) and you go to court on the previously established date. No attorneys are allowed, You present your evidence and any witnesses you can round up.

My experience is they never show up when the wrong. The judgement for the claim is given in you favor & you then get to try to collect on the judgement or best case painter comes by week before trial and fixes up his omissions.

Jim Casper

40 year contractor

ps There are collection agencies that will buy a judgement for 50 cents on the dollar.


Answered 7 years ago by jccasper

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy