Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/26/2014

How to find a contractor to convert my carpeted steps to hardwood steps

The original steps were carpeted just plywood undernesth

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If you want hardwood steps, then a finish carpenter. Some cabinetry shops do these too, as do most specialty staircase companies.

If after laminate steps, then a flooring company. Many of them either have a finish carpenter on staff or have an arrangement with one for this type work.

Make sure the scope of work includes truing up and adjusting tread height and level too - most carpeted risers vary by as much as 1/2" which does not matter as much with carpet, but with hardwood you notice it a lot more and will find yourself tripping on the stairs if the riser heights are not identical and level.

Also make sure any tread squeeks are taken out before the treads are put on.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy