Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/7/2015

How far in ft can a exterior junction box be from a wall/ room addition.

I'm adding an addition to my home and need to know if my junction box ( I added a junction box to relocate the meter further away ) is in the way because my plan is to add the addition a foot or some from that junction box. South Florida

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Aside from the requirement that junction boxes be accessible, I have never seen a requirement regarding lateral clearance. Note - BREAKER BOXES have a small lateral clearance requirement for working space, so if the addition is going to right-angle out putting the junction box in the corner that might be a problem - otherwise I don't see a problem.

Simple solution - since you presumably are going to connect from this box to the addition, if its location (shown as existing) is on the addition plans, the plan review for the p[ermit issuance should pop it up as an issue.

One other thing - I am presuming this is on the house side of the meter - because generally junction boxes (other than the meter base) are NOT allowed on the "company" side of the main breaker because it would not be protected by the breaker in that case. Ditto if on the house side but there is no whole-house main breaker at the meter base - so the junction box would be on the "company side" of the main breaker in the breaker box, if you have that configuration (which is illegal in some jurisdictions for that reason). If in doubt about any of this, call or email the electrical inspector in your town/county (as applicable) building department.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy