Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/7/2011

How do you install a washer dryer hook up?

The W/D goes into a closet in the kitchen which is where the water heater currently lives. What kind of contractor do I need to work with? Do I use a general contractor who has electrical and plumbing skills - or- do I get an electrician and a plumber to do their pieces separately?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

5 Answers


As OG said, first thing is to determine if there is adequate power source, plumbing and outside vents to accommodate a W/D... if the hot water heater is in a nearby closet, there is water, 100v electrical, maybe gas but not necessarily 220v or sufficient venting for a dryer, nor plumbing necessary for washing machine. get free estimates, apples to apples. check with the condo people before hiring a contractor or handiman and check Angie'sList for your area.

my stackers are in back hall as are the furnace & water heater - the WH is gas, the W/D is electric & vented separately to the outside.. stacklers take up little room and handle smaller loads efficiently.... occasional heavy bedding and sleeping bags go to the cleaners or laundromat.

Answered 9 years ago by tessa89


Thanks OG and tessa. The closet just has the water heater with the 110 outlet. There's nothing else there so I need everything - plumbing, electircal, and ducting. I had the condo's "preferred" contractor (although they claim not to have an opinion) guy out to the house today. He says I need the 220v outlet plus the water hookups to be run. He'll then drill through the concrete slab into the crawl space to pull the electrical wires to the circuit box and the venting out to through and under the deck. I can get the 24" stackables in there without any issue.

I was surprised by the price $2,500, but I have had a hard time finding someone in the area who can do the entire job in one go. Anyone else I've called could only handle one piece like the plumbing or the electrical. The list didn't have any answers either.

Answered 9 years ago by ramoslip


Get that bid in writing! make sure it lists everything "he said". Check Angie's List for names of other general contractors in your area. & get same apples to apples written bids from them. Before you hire anyone, check with your local BBB and contractors licensing board. Additionally, I'd obtain written authorization from the codo homeowner's assn entering into a job such as you've described.

guess it depends where ya live: here, some UPS drivers make $27'hr. plumbers &, electricians hourly wage is significantly higher.

Answered 9 years ago by tessa89



Are you really saying the closet in/off the kitchen can have a W/D but never has or merely isn't one there now?

Look in the there a floor drain that would catch the water if the washer or the water heater overflows? There likely is.

Is there an electrical outlet? I haven't had the stacking W/D before so I don't know if they will both run off 110v or if you'll need 220v for the dryer.

Is there a vent for the dryer? It might be there but have a cover on it.

Finally, do you have hot 'n cold faucets that hoses can connect to for the washer?

Which direction you head depends on how many "no" answers there are.

If the drain exists (I'd be surprised if it isn't there), and if there are electrical outlets, but not faucets, you'll need a pumber. He or she will tap into the cold water before it goes into the water heater for your cold line and likely hit the hot line just outside the water heater.... small and relatively quick job. If the vent for the dryer is not there, many plumbers do those as well.

If you have no electrical outlet, first step would be to see what the requirements of the W/D are. If it is just 110v an electrician could run it fairly quickly. 220v takes a bit more thought and a bigger breaker. Where is the circuit breaker box? Same closet?

Some handyman types would tell you they could do it. I'd want good references first and I'd want to know what your locality says about licenses for those trades (could exclude a handyman). See what the W/D requirements are and hit a plumber first. Often you will find they work with an electrician for exactly these sorts of installs.

Sorry my response is so long. Too many "if"s to just toss out a short answer.

Don't be a stranger.

Answered 9 years ago by Old Grouch


$2,500 feels like a bunch, but look at the work he has to do including running down through the slab. If you were to try to manage a bunch of individual trades, what you save in money (if any) would be eaten by frustration.

And, don't forget to do an Angie's List evaluation when he is finished. Folks like you who have to have the entire job done can help through your reports when the rest of us need something. Might want to ask him which category best suits what he does so you can place the evaluation.

Thanks for the update.


Answered 9 years ago by Old Grouch

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy