Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/6/2016

How can i repair a hole 2" long in a bullbose corner?

Our house has bullnose corners internally, and one of then has a hole about 2" long. What is the easiest, permanent solution available?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


I am assuming you meant bullnose and just hit the "b" by mistake, not bullbose, which is a particular double-flute double-rounded trim shape. Though is you did mean bullbose, then same answers as below - but you will need (as with any other fancy shape) a multi-shape scraper to trim the putty or drywall patching compound to shape before carefully (to avoid rounding and blending the detail) finish sanding the repair using a sharp-edged sanding block. Tool looks like this - some have replaceable/interchangeable blades, some one tool has 3 different shaped blade corners -

Sounds like you are talking about plaster, drywall, or wood baseboard or wall corners. Of course, the highest-quality solution is to repair with the same materials or with trim, replace the damaged section.

Alternatively, as a patch in wood - use a non-shrinking wood dough (also called wood putty or wood filler) - will take 2 or maybe 3 passes because even non-shrink will settle and leave a bit of depression as it cures. Or use "plastic filler" if fake (plastic or fiberglass) trim. Do as many coats as it takes to get a smooth, flush sanded surface, then stain and clearcoat, or prime then finish paint - as applicable - to match. Be careful not to spread the putty around on the surrounding trim because it is hard to sand off without damaging the surface because it is basicallyi a plastic dough, but you do need a good edge contact.

Plaster or drywall use premixed drywall compound - same 2-3 cycles of filling to get it flush after sanding, then drywall rated primer, and finish paint to match.

Wood putty comes in cans down to about 1/2 pint in many brands, and in common wood colors too if you have a natural wood finish. Drywall patching compound comes in containers down to 1 pint - each for about $5 or so in those sizes, at most box stores and pretty much all home improvement stores and lumberyards.

Commonly a perfect color match is not possible, both because exact matching paints is tough and also because the old paint is weathered and dirty - so usually on the finish coat (which might be one or more coats to completely cover depending on materials and color and paint brand) you end up cleaning (use TSP) and repainting the entire strip of trim on that corner or wall to get a uniform appearance.

Be sure to protect flooring from both the filler and the finishes - I always use two layers - masking taped down plastic sheeting sticking in under the baseboard, then an edge-taped painters tarp or taped down multi-layer newspaper on top to protect against leak-through or in case of a can spill or big glop falling. A LOT easier to take 10 minutes to properly protect the flooring up front than to try to clean up a spill.

BTW - if you have a 2" hole and it looks chewed, I would consider putting out mouse traps.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Chris in Member Care. I'm happy to help!

I've found some highly rated providers from the List. I’ve sent the providers via email.

As an Angie's List member, you can find these same results and additional providers by logging into your membership and searching in the "Search the List" tab.

If you would like information on additional providers through this forum, please let us know. You can respond to this thread or submit a new Answers post. You can also reach us at We're happy to help!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy