Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/21/2015

How do you repair squeaking hardwood floors in a home that is 40+ yrs old?

I live in a home built in 1958 with oak hardwood. The home sits on a poured foundation with an insulated crawlspace in Colorado. The hallway and bedroom floors squeak. Very irritating. Can this be corrected? They are otherwise in very good shape but could use a refinish.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Not clear to me from the question if foundation is poured with wood frame flooring, or hardwood is directly over elevated concrete slab.

If over slab, not easy - I have heard of specialty flooring companies weighting a hardwood floor down with sandbags, then drilling small holes and injecting epoxy glue to glue the floor down after the fact - not an easy fix.

If over wood subfloor - then a good hardwood flooring installer can renail through the joists so it is nearly invisible. This is if the hardwood is doing the squeeking.

If the subfloor (plywood, particle board, OSB, etc) is doing the moving and squeeking, then you basically have to pull up the hardwood and screw or screw and glue the subfloor down to the joists, or come in from underneath and glue/screw wood blocks or strips along the sides of the joists at the top to use to screw through to pull the subfloor down tight, commonly also injecting construction adhesive in the gap along the top of the joists before pulling the subfloor down.

Flooring contractor should be able to give advise, but may say you need a carpenter to do the actual pulling down, especially if has to be done from below.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy