Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/25/2017

How to repair table surface - mixture of marble, granite, stone and concrete composite. It has a clear wax finish.

Made the mistake of leaving a candle on my coffee table and it burned a circular mark into the surface. Anyone have any ideas on how to repair/refinish something like this?
The table is stone block - mixture of marble, granite, stone and concrete composite. It has a clear wax finish. Any tips are appreciated!!

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If only the wax coating itself was burned - not burning into the wax into the stone - then removing the wax with a wax remover and rewaxing should take care of it. Maybe even just locally at the burn location, not the whole table - depends on the type of wax.

If it burned the wax down to or into the stone surface then you will have carbon buildup in the pores of the stone - a good scrubbing with TSP and liquid dish soap MIGHT remove it after the wax removal in that area (use wide, variable location and diameter circular motion to avoid back-and-forth scratching). Using a circular polisher/buffer gives a better job without the evidence of the polishing - usually done in a couple of grits from a finish-medium first in your case, down to very fine, with each pass polishing out the abrasive marks from the coarser pass before it.

If well burned down into the stone, might need a serious abrasive polishing - possible to buy the abrasive and do it yourself but probably going to look a lot better if done by a Countertop contractor - but likely $150-200 minimum charge. Some Furniture - Repair and Refinishing shops MAY have stone tabletop competency - but they are not real common so I would not count on that, but you could call around.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy