Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/25/2018

How much to replace rotted floor abnd joist under bathtub

Area to replace is 4by6' under old cast iron tub. Some joists may need repair as well.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Depends on a lot of things - lateral extent of rot, if the rotten subfloor or joists pass under and support walls (especially if load bearing), space available to remove and replace rotten members, interfering walls or wiring or pipes or ducting which might have to be cut or worked around to get the new joists in, etc. Sometimes easier to do from above (meaning taking the tub out), sometimes from below to avoid tearing out tiles or surround - though doing it from below is almost always going to involve more direct cost for the repair than from above, even though the overall cost may be less because of eliminating replacement of the surround.

Generally, I would say it is pretty rare to get this for under $1000-2000 - and that would be for a free-standing tub situation, not built-in. Tearting out a tub to do it, or going in from below likely to be more $2,000-4,000 range complete ASSUMING the surround/walls can be saved - otherwise more commonly $4,000-10,000 range.

If you get into interference with piping or ductwork or there are interfering walls, can quickly get into the quite a few thousand $ range, and I have seen cases (where rotting sheathing and joists went in under or sat on top of mid-span load-bearing walls) where it ran into the $10,000 - 20,000 range - basically a low to mid-range bathroom remodel cost - in which case you might look at doing a full remodel at the same time if your bathroom is outdated or you are looking at a house sale in the foreseeable future.

You need bids from Remodeling - Kitchen and Bath contractors for this - and in most areas first you need an assessment (which will involve some tearing into ceilings and maybe floor and walls to determine the extent of damage) and remedial design from an Architect (my advise for this instance) or Structural Engineer to do the plans and specs which will be needed for a building permit, for bidders to bid to, and for the successful bidder to build to.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy