Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/29/2014

How much per sq ft to parge stone basement walls?

Mortar/sand is falling onto the floor at the base of the walls in the basement

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


For a simple parge coat, $2-5/SF depending on surface prep needed, more like $5-7/SF if mesh is placed on the wall first, which it should be for anything more than a skim coat.

However, I would question why you want to do this - a parge coat on the inside wall of a basement, unless it has NO water issues, is a bad idea. It might smooth the surface, but it acts as a semi-pervious layer on the negative side hydraulically, so it tends to blow off if there is any water pressure against it, and it causes the entire wall to be saturated with water, whcih is definitely not a good thing from a structural or energy efficiency standpoint. It is especially bad on stone walls, as most types of foundation building stone break down under continuous exposure to water.

if your mortar and sand is coming out of the building block (or stone, in this case) joints, you need to locate and solve the water problem - OUTSIDE, then have the joints gouged out and repointed with a "plastic" hydraulic cement mortar - likely from both inside and outside. IF it is coming off of a previous parge coat, then before doing anything to it you need to remove the cause of the degradation - which is probably that it is getting water from outside and it was parged with mortar mix rather than hydraulic cement, so ideally solve the outside water source issue first then sound the parge coat to see if it is delaminating from the wall. If so, it should be removed and replaced with a hyrdraulic cement skim coat or nothing, if not delaminating then a structural hydraulic cement patch job using something like Quikcrete hydraulic waterstop cement - but only after the watersoure is cut off, either by outside diversion away from the foundation (best), or by outside foundation wall waterproofing (bituthene or equal) and likely a french drain.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy