Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/1/2017

I have a 2 way stair case and would like to get rid of one what will be the cost

I have a 2-way stair case and need to get rid of one how much would it cost?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Depends terribly on how it is built - and on what you mean by a 2 way staircase. Some people call it that when there is one on each side of the room (like the classic Cinderella-type castle or classic hotel ballroom scenes in movies) though I think most professionals call them paired or mirror staircases. Generally, $1000-2000 would get rid of that and patch the holes in floor and walls - price range depending on type and fanciness of flooring and wall finishes and such of course, as well as the total weight coming out - wood cheaper than stone or metal in most cases (unless contractor salvages the stone or the metal staircase for reuse on another job).

Plus of course the scope needs to include a new banister to block off the upper floor access to the now non-existent staircase - that can run typically $400-1000 by itself, and more at times if fancy or custom-fabrication needed to match the existing banister - or sometimes cheaper/faster to replace the whole banister so it all looks the same.

Other people say a 2-way or bi-directional staircase is one with a central staircase for the first half, then splits off (usually at 90 degrees) to each side, like is popular in courthouses and city halls and such. In that case, can be pretty simple if the midway landing is fully supported by itself - can get darned complex if the midlanding is supported by the two upper half staircases with nothing under it (far more common with steel than with wood framed ones).

You really need to get a staircase specialist or a Structural Engineer in there to determine what is holding what up and what replacement support will be needed - then depending on what that result is and type of materials, either a staircase specialist or a General contractor to do the work if replacement support is needed, or possibly a Carpenter - Framing (if wood) or structural Metal Fabrication and Restoration (if metal) or Masonry (if solid stone and mortar or brick and mortar) contractor - or a Demolition (no Angies List category for that) if a major jackhammer job or large metal staircase. Though General Contractor is likely the best single source, even if he farms out the staircase removal part, to do any structural support installation and replacement wall finishes and flooring and banister and such needed to rehab the removed and connection areas.

Ballpark cost - for simple wood-framed straight riser conventional house staircase - maybe the $500-1500 range, say double that range for larger free-standing or cantilevered staircases or metal ones of normal size/weight, and massive brick/stone ones or one with very large thick stone or concrete steps can run into the several thousands pretty quick. I remember one city hall one - typical about 8 foot wide curved concrete and stone tread type from the 30's, that cost about $5000 to remove - in the 1980's, and another $6000 or so for the upper landing structural supports and connection point/flooring repairs, so in large/fancy houses can be a lot.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy