Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/20/2013

I have a 2 story Stucco 2300 sq ft house. How much of a AC unit replacement will I need

Need a replacement AC system for a 2 story Stucko and hardy board home 2300 sq ft. What type and size Unit will I need to keep it cool.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Sorry - this is not a question that can be answered with the information available to us. You need to talk to a licensed and certified air conditioning contractor, as unit sizing has to be calculated based on many facts, including the following:

1) total interior volume to be cooled

2) type of home ventilation - i.e. natural, forced air, continuous circulation system, etc

3) total sun-exposed surface area of house, and amount of shading from other houses, trees, hillsides or mountains, etc

4) type and color of siding and roof, as that affects solar heating and solar heat retention, as well as solar heat transfer time to the inside of the house (imagine differencde between an all-glass house with instantaneous solar heating, versus a foot-thick adobe brick wall where interior heating can take many hours after sun first hits it)

5) whether you have a basement as part of the ventilated area or not (contributes to cooling)

6) where in the country you live - i.e. how hot does it get and what is humidity in your area in the cooling season

7) how well your house is insulated

All told, these kinds of factors can make a 3:1 difference in the cooling capacity or "tons" of cooling you need, so you need an expert evaluation.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy