Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/27/2017

I need about 40 loads of dirt DELIVERED for a grading job in Ball Ground Ga. Where and who is the best price?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


This is Erick in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers that can provide you with dirt, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services


Sounds like you may need several classes of fill - possibly some common or free-draining subbase general fill material, then maybe some base if you need a compacted surface, maybe topsoil if going to seed or sod, etc.

Anyway, figure out what type of material you need so you don't end up with slope stability issues or a bog hole because it is too fine or clayey or sinkholes forming because it is too coarse or not compacted correctly (if thick), then talk to either Mulch/Topsoil (for growing media) or Stone and Gravel (for structural fills) vendors - those are your Search the List categories.

Or ask for bids from several Excavation or Landscaping contractors - especially if you need it spread more than just tailgating and/or compacted. Note for that quantity (usually more than about 10-50CY depending on area) or if filling more than about 3-6 feet in depth typically, you will likely need a permit. From Building or Planning and Zoning department usually, depending on locale. And of course likely will have to file an Erosion and Sediment Control plan, maybe get a traffic permit (for multiple trucks on residential streets) and find out legal trucking/equipment operating hours for your locale.

After talking to the permit people, if more than you can handle (and can get to be a lot if possible wetlands or near to a drainage or any wildlife protection unit) then a Civil Enginering firm (no Angies List category for that) specializing in land development projects can help you with the permitting process.

And pay attention to the fill being brought, so you don't get loads of construction or demolition debris, land clearing debris, petroleum contaminated soil from an underground tank removal job, etc. I have seen EVERYTHING dumped when contractors thought the owner or project manager was not looking.

And during and after the time this is going on, secure the site so Joe Trucker who may have heard a bunch of fill was being places at your property doesn't come and dump unwanted material on you. It is VERY common for fill sites like this to become the local dumping spot for anyone (trucker or individual with pickup of trash) to come and dump on you, so good lock and cables or parking vehicle or heavy equipment across the access or such is a good idea.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy