Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/11/2018

I have 50 trees to be removed from my vacant land, are there people who can cut free and hauls it away?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


You can find a lot of previous similar questions with answers, and some thoughts about the risks of allowing uninsured people or contractors or firewood sellers do this, in the Lawn & Garden > Tree Service link, under Browse Projects at lower left. There are also a number of questions with answers in there about selling trees for the wood - usually that is a no-go for a household job unless the trees are unusually large and straight and a high-value wood.

But with 50 trees, assuming they are commercial size (generally over 16-24" minimum diameter for about first 16 feet, pretty straight, and disease free) you might be able to find a large commercial firewood vendor or a local small logging operation which will at least do it for free - if not maybe pay you a bit, though if you are not paying them something (at least $1) you are likely to have it considered a commercial operation, which brings in other considerations.

Do some checking first with local Planning and Zonging department - a 50 tree cut may well require a permit and environmental plan (at least erosion and sediment control plan), and of course any disturbance of wetlands or streams or such, or other environmentally sensitive habitat, is certain to need a permit and such - generally the sort of permitting and such that is required for clearing land for a subdivision.

Also, you need to consider (and contract needs to spell out) if they are just cutting and taking the trees (meaning about 2-3 foot high stumps and all that slash laying around), or if they have to grub and root (remove the stumps) and chip/mulch or burn (if allowed in area) the slash (unmerchantable branches and leaves and stray bark and such). The first you may well get for free or even get a few bucks for, the latter, unless the roots and stumps are useful for turpentine (and there is a local plant) or such, likely to cost a lot more than the wood is worth.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy