Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/31/2018

I need 8 yards of dirt with fuel in it removed from circle k jobsite

We have a letter stating it is not contaminated but it still has some fuel mixed in it

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Then the letter lies ? You could get in a heap of trouble in that case, as could the contractor certifying it - unless you mean it is a letter saying the level of contamination is not more than the allowable amount under applicable regulations, in which case it can be disposed of normally.

If still noticeably contaminated (stained or smelly) then you would have to locate a local Hazardous Waste disposal company - probably on the order of $1000 a truckload or so to load and haul and dispose of it, ASSUMING there is a fuel-contaminated soil disposal facility within 20-30 miles of you. Assuming an environmental engineering consultant did the testing, he/she should be able to recommend companies for this.

If the latter - acceptably clean soil, then you could hire an Excavation contractor (the Search the List category to find a well-rated and reviewed one) to either come with a loader or utility tractor and spread it somewhere on your property where some random fill is usable or fits (probably about $250-400 for that, with a reasonably short tramming distance - say not over about 100 feet), or to load and haul it away for disposal (probably more like $400-500 for that in most areas). Or if your General Contractor has earthwork equipment on site, he might be able to do this.

Such slightly contaminated but below regulated limits soil is not supposed to be used for gardening or around/under structures fill, nor within 25 feet or any body of water or wetland - commonly is used as general site prep common fill, or at local landfills many will accept it at no charge to either party, with a copy of the certification letter, for use as cover fill in the landfill.

Be sure to check with your remediation testing company or state DEC/DEQ on required documentation regarding where it came from, the test results and certifying letter, disposal location documentation, and any requirement for recording the removal and disposal of the tank(s) it presumably came from. Some states require a chain-of-custody, some do not, and be sure the tanks are removed from any state AST/UST registry of fuel tanks.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy