Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/8/2018

I have a 92" sofa that reclines on each end any ideas how to fill gap developing between seat cushions

Sofa in great shape. Would like to close gap coming between seats so xomfy to lay on yet doesnt hamper reclining

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Some higher-end recliner sofas like this have a stiffer foam in the edges of the cushions to prevent this gullying - face glued to softer foam in the sitting-on portion. It might be the cushion foam or padding is breaking down with age and just needs replacing. In either case Upholstering - General would be the Search the List category to get it done - though not cheap if fabric is being replaced, and definitely not cheap at all if leather covered.

Here is a link to the one similar previous question with answers which I could find:

DIY methods -

1) depending on what is happening with the cushions, maybe just make a wedge shaped piece of fabric covered foam to fit down into the crack (wedge apex upward) to prop up the edges of the cushions. Or upside down, apex down, shoved down into the cracks in teh seating portion.

2) make a fabric-covered piece of foam (you can buy the foam in sheets at JoAnns and most bix box stores, in thicknesses so commonly 4 inches) - basically make a fabric "pillow case" to slip over it and sew on, then wedge this "shim down between the cushions - at leat on the sit-on part. Would not stay in place well on seatback portion when it reclines.

3) make small diameter "bolster pillow" - batting or foam bean filled to mold down into the crack when you want to lie down - much like you would use an end pillow to cushion the small of your back or elevate knees or feet when lying down on a regular couch.

4) make, or have maid, a couch coer similar to a mattress pad, but with thicker inverted wedge shaped padding at the cracks, to provide a more level surface.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy