Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/21/2016

I have an antique house and would like to cut a stove vent into my counter. In inline fan burned out. need advice.

The actual vent is through an exterior basement window. the inline fan (near the window ) probably died from grease in as much as I can see drops under the fan. it is no longer working. is there a fan motor/mechinism I can use? for instance the type used for downdraft vents? I do have a switch mounted near the stove and an outlet near the window in the basement.

My ceiling height is only 7' and I really dont have a cosmetic or realistic way to vent to the outside from above.(floor joists involved)

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


A Heating and A/C contractor (your Search the List category) should be able to replace the fan unit with a modern fan, assuming it is installed in standard sized duct. Otherwise, he should be able to find another way to route it if needed - running it through the countertop is pretty hokey and is likely to result in rapid rustout of the ducting, not to mention looking REALLY bad to potential buyers whenever you go to sell. Plus if a solid (concrete, stone, etc) countertop might run $150-250 just to get a countertop guy in there to drill a hole in it. HVAC guy could probably cut it out if laminate or formica or such.

The floor joist issue only blocks access to the outside in one direction - he may be able to run the ducting through the joist bays to another nearby outside wall, if there is one. If fan is at the outside wall, he may be able to go up into the floorspace above and then out through the rim joist, as is commonly done for kitchen fans on the first floor of a multi-story house.

Mounting the fan downstairs or even outside is also a possibility - if you have the current ducting, he should be able to fix you up without great cost - probably in the couple to few hundred $ range if existing fan can be changed out (likely), or maybe into the ballpark $500 range if he has to run new ducting, depending on access issues.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy