Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/28/2014

I need contractor familiar with reinforcing cinder block walls. Your search engine does not seem to provide this

cinder block home needs seismic retrofit and reinforcement...need someone with experience in this work involvin rebar and concrete work, shotcrete.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If this is to meet some code or insurance company requirement for reinforcement,then you will need plans stamped by a structural engineer (California and a few other states) or Civil Engineer (other states), and in many cases the engineer is REQUIRED to inspect and sign off on the actual workk as well. That person can also recommend remediation contractors operating in your area who are familiar with this work. You definitely want an experienced contractor - not a first timer.

Also, if in California or other states with strict state energy codes, be aware grouting the wall will significantly reduce the insulation R-value, possibly requiring you to insulate to stay within code mandated R values, especially if this is a property receiving property tax abatement or government credits for energy efficient construction.

The type of contractor you will be needing will be a Structural Remediation specialist (not an AL category), Foundation contractor, or General Contractor with experience and qualification in that area.

I would ask why you think shotcrete will be needed - generally that is NOT considered a building structural material (unless you are talking reinforcing an outdoors retaining wall) - this type of reinforcement usually involves opening up the walls, drilling holes in the plate (bottom horizontal board in the wall) into the wall cavities, inserting rebar, then pumping some or all of the open cells full of grout, depending on original wall construction method and thickness and number of stories.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy