Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/8/2017

I am converting gas stove to electric. Who do I hire to cap off gas?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If getting new electric stone installed, sometimes the installer will cap off the gas line.

You can also buy caps which fit the gas valve - so you just turn off the gas valve at the wall, disconnect the flexible gas tubing (there will be a slight gas release at this so you will smell a whiff of gas smell, but no "flow". Then use natural gas plumbers tape (usually yellow colored - NOT the normal teflon tape - natural gas dissolves it) on the threads, then put on the cap.

If you want to be a bit safer, because gas valves eventually tend to leak a bit, then a Plumber (Gas Fitter in the few states requiring gas piping be done by them - but still call Plumber - they usually have at least one licensed gas fitter on staff) can remove the valve and cap the pipe itself. Minimum service charge of typically $75-150 (more in a very few very high priced large urban areas) plus probably about $5 for the cap. Keep the gas valve in a plastic bag for possible future reuse.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy