Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/29/2013

I need an eldercare lawyer for my Father in NC but my Angie's list info is from NY. Is there a way I can get a recoomondation?

My father has dementia and no one lives near him. we need a lawyer to protect him.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers

Voted Best Answer

Angie's List does not rate or review lawyers, in your area or otherwise.

In your case you need more than a lawyer - if he has dementia such that he cannot handle his own affairs responsibly than he should have both a Personal Conservator or Guardian (depending on phrasing used in his state) to handle his personal affairs and direct medical care, and a financial Conservator to handle his assets, day to day finances, and bills. Can be same person or different, and can change after a few years if necessary as different people become the most suitable to serve.

Have to be appointed by the Probate court where he lives, so you need a Probate and Conservatorship attorney in his town.

You do not want an attorney to serve as the guardian or conservator - WAY too expensive. If there are not family members to do this, there are professional guardian and conservator firms. Since you say no family members closeby, you have probably reached that point - of having to discuss with him (if capable of doing so) either moving near to a faily member who can take care of him, or getting him into an assisted living facility that can provide care and security, then having famiuly members as guardian and conservator.

If he is an honorably discharged veteran, the VA can help and may pay for some of his care and most medical costs, under certain conditions. Talk to a VA benefits counselor at the VA if that applies.

Get more info on care and legal provisions at the Alzheimers Association -

Here is an introductory article on Conservators and Guardians -

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


Hi there, it's JP from Angie's List here. LCD is correct in that Angie's List does not currently provide reviews or ratings for lawyers or attorneys. Although AL doesn't provide info on legal services, you may be able to help your father in NC with the multiple categories of serivce providers who are geared towards helping older adults including home elder care, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, elder care indepenedent living and others.

To access the ratings and review for these service providers in NC, check out the add-a-city option. For a small fee you can get access to another city or state's Angie's List info.


Answered 6 years ago by JP


Hopefully your father's situation is well in hand by now. However, if not, here is a more lengthy response I gave to a basically identical case which might be of use to you -

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy