Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/23/2016

I enclosed an existing patio without a permit & now want to sell my house

All I did was to put in window frames & windows & a glass sliding door & 1 electrical outlet

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I would talk to your local building department supervisor - or perhaps check out first what the local website says about permit requirements. Commonly, putting in/changing out windows and doors is considered architectural finish and does not require a permit unless you enlarge the rough opening (thereby modifying the structural framing), even though putting in the framing and the roof that were put in almost certainly would require a permit.

IF the roof and framing was already there and legal (an open porch say) AND putting the windows in did not require a permit, then simplest solution might be to disconnect the wiring where it is tapped off from and remove and cover over the outlet so it is no longer "wired".

If you should have had a permit, commonly the penalty (in addition to having to get the original permit) is one to three times the permit charge - though some areas do get nasty and put a $500 or $1000 fine on it - plus of course you still have to pass inspection, which in cases involving utility runs and framing commonly requires at least a couple of locations where the inspector requires opening up the walls to randomly inspect the work quality.

Of course, in some areas they get real nasty and require total drywall removall to inspect all the framing and utility runs, and of course if the structure is lot legal in terms of allowable square footages or property line setbacks for your area or such then of course in extreme cases you have to either pay a penalty and get a waiver, or have the offending structure removed.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy