Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/27/2016

I am trying to figure out what type of contractor or professional that I need.

My master bedroom and bath is an addition that is on a slab. I purchased this home a year ago. When it rains bad the rain water comes into the bedroom from outside. It appears this has been a problem with this home as the yard had a variety of drain pipes etc. I went out yesterday when it was raining quite hard and just saw the rain running out of the gutter so fast it was pouring and over flowing pooling water around the house. Who do I need to hire for assistance? A plumber? Any specialty's I should be aware of?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Gutters would be the Search the List category for this - might be your gutters are too narrow or don't have the cross-sectional area to carry the flow from a heavy rain, could be the downspouts are too small to carry the amount of water the gutters collect, could be gutters or downspouts are partly or fully blocked with debris [leaves, moss, twigs, etc] (in which case Gutter Cleaning would be the category you need), could be they are bent or installed out of line so there is one or more low spots which overflow, could be the gutters are installed too low so the water is overshooting the gutter in a heavy rain, could be you have gutter leaf guards (mistake in my experience) which are causing the water to flow over the gutters.

The dirt around the house (the real soil, not considering any pervious decorative cover like bark or river rock or such which allow the water to flow right through) should also not be within a minimum of 4 inches in height from the lower of the bottom of the siding or the top of the foundation (more in invasive insect country) and should be sloped away from the house at least 2% and preferably more like 10% slope for at least 3-10 feet around the house (depending on soil permeability) - to a natural surface tht will drain the water away from the house, to french drains, or to an artificial swale or drainage channel as may be applicable. And the soil near the house has to be at least relatively impervious - a good 4 inches or more thickness of compacted silty sandy gravel, clayey gravel, clay, or artificial "pond liner" are common materials to use. A Landscaper would be a common vendor for this sort of drainage work - for a smaller job a Handyman might be able to do it, for a large job Excavation would be the classification.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy