Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/8/2016

I want to file a complaint against a company I hired back in January and the job is still not done.

they have had to bring in several different contractors to clean up problems the first subcontractors did and the problems keep growing. I have tried everything to get my projects done. I do not know where else to turn to. MB

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

Hi Mary,

This is Robin K. in Member Care. Thank you for posting.

I'm very sorry to hear about your negatvie experience. You can submit a review by following these steps:

1. Sign in to your account here.
2. In the top, right corner you will see "Write a Review." Click there to start the process.
3. On the next page, search for the business you used.
4. The next page will be a review form! Please fill it out completely.
5. Click the yellow "Submit a Review" button at the bottom of the page when you are finished.

Angie's List also offers our members a program to help resolve complaints when they've had a negative service experience. If you are interested in this and to help determine if you qualify, please answer the additional questions after submitting your review. You can also give us a call at (888) 944-5478 to learn more.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. You can respond to this thread or submit a new Answers post. You can also reach us at We're happy to help!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services


Bear in mind the subcontractor problems and bringing in more subs (assuming this was subcontractors to do the work or get it corrected is the General Contractor's problem and at his expense for any additional cost unless it was due to change of conditions which could not be anticipated at contract time, or was due to a change order at your request like a change in scope or plans that you requested.

If their work is still inadequate or they have basically stopped working, your initial response would normally be a certified return receipt letter to him detailing the issues and demanding immediate correction and completion by a certain (reasonable) date (or original completion date if not there yet) or that you will be forced to call his Bond. (I hope for your sake that he is bonded).

Then if he fails to come through or does not respond or you are confident that he is incapable of doing the job correctly, calling his Bond to have the bond company pay another contractor to finish the job under the original contract terms and price would be your next step. It is possible to do this without an attorney but you are likely to get a lot better response and coverage using an attorney to keep the bonding company honest.

Of course, if you did not have a written contract with scope of work or plans this is hard to get them to cover.

Also - whether you owe him money for work adequately done, or he is ahead of you on payments makes a difference - if the amount of work he has satisfactorily done is equal to or more than the amount you have paid you have the option of terminating him for non-performance and paying whateaver you legitimately owe (getting lien releases from himm subs, and suppliers in the process) and then just going to another contractor to get it done - though that cann commonly cost more total (between the two contractors) than the original contract amount.

A termination of the contract and lawsuit to reimburse you for the added expense of getting another contractor in to do the job right would be your last resort - generally not productive unless claim is for more than about $15-20,000 AND the contractor is likely to have the assets to pay any judgement you get.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy