Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/11/2016

I can't find anyone to look at destroyed wood and tell me what insect is doing it.

destruction looks like termites, but I don't want to pay for a $600 "termite package" if I don't know what it is first.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Pest Control would be the appropriate Search the List category - you should be able to pay for just an inspection without being pressured into a treatment/protection plan up front.

Otherwise, check out info on invasive insects at your state Cooperative Extension Service and US Dept of Agriculture websites - lots of articles and photos on the web of what the various types of insects look like (find some dead ones or body castings (the outgrown body casings) and what the damage looks like from different insects. Here is one link as a starter, with other link to specific links on each common wood boring/eating insect -

Very generally speaking:

If you have mud tubes up the side of the foundation - subterranean termites except a couple of other remote possibilities if you live in extreme south Texas (south of Corpus Christie roughly), extreme southern Florida, or Hawaii where a few other exotic wood eating insects have shown up which make mud tubes.

If they look like very large black ants - Carpenter Ants.

Somewhat oblate or rounded body beetles - one of the post beetles or borer beetles

If flying bees - borer bees.

If elongated flying insect with gossamer or mostly transparent wings - likely tree earwigs (which do not really bore very extensively so damage is not highly evident) or a spruce bark beetle or similar tree borer.

Either way, you are going to need insect treatment - and the treatment to kill the live insects themselves is similar or the same in-place except with carpenter ants where ant bait works best, though the preventative methods to prevent recurrence are different.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy