Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/16/2016

I need to get a foundation put on a existing mobile home in California

I have a existing mobile home in yucca valley California i need to get a permanent foundation installed so it will meet the hud requirements. Does any one know of any companies that will do this.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

You could ask around at mobile home dealers who do NOT provide installations to ask who they know who do it or who they refer buyers to for new unit installations - otherwise google or yellow pages for such vendors specifically under categories like Mobile Home Foundations, then cross-check by company name on Angies List for Ratings and Reviews.

Angies List categories for this work would include Concrete - Pouring and Repair (for cast concrete walls or slab-on-grade though that option not viable for your local due to frost depth), Masonry (for masonry block or brick foundation), also Foundation Repair and House Moving as companies that do this type of foundation work incidental to other work. AL does not yet have a Manufactured/Mobile Home or mobile home installation category.

Be sure to have them level the trailer as part of the process, and be sure adjacent drainage is adjusted to prevent pooling of water at the foundation, and to drain roof runoff away from the foundation to avoid foundation cracking and also crawlspace wetness.

Also house trailer moving and installation companies do this sometimes.

As I remember HUD/FHA/USDA RH rules it does not have to be a full perimeter structural foundation - just permanent support under the framing with adequate tiedowns and wind and earthquake resistance, so various types of piers and posts of concrete, concrete building block, brick, treated wood, and steel can all be used if properly designed for the job. Here is link to their guidelines, and a FAQ type article on the subject as well -

Note this article, though comprehensive, is from the initial requirements determination so some things have changed since then - for instance supports do not necessarily have to be site-built anymore - they can be shop built or pre-fabricated, and while they still require a "basement" or crawlspace under it, it does not necessarily have to have structural perimeter walls - I have seen units approved with underlying structural support but a permanent non-structural perimeter enclosure facade (not just plywood or fiberboard skirting) for insect/vermin and snow infiltration prevention. Also, while AB Chance type screw anchors are still not, as I understand it, counted as acceptable permanent foundations except as wind tiedowns, structural micropiles and screw anchor foundations are now allowed as they are for regular housing, if engineer designed.

Requirements also very a bit between the different federal programs, so be sure which type of loan you applying for matches the criteria for the installation.

Check also on the thermal criteria - if your unit does not have a factory FMHCSS certification, (usually on a red metal rating plate on the outside of the frame or on siding at the end) then regardless of foundation it may not be eligible for FHA/HUD/USDA Rural Housing program loans, or will have to have an energy audit and rating done to be eligible, so check on those requirements.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD


This is Brendon M. in Member Care.
I do apologize, but it does not look like you have a subscription with us to search.
If you would like to join and have us help you find top rated foundation providers we would be happy to do so! Please contact us at 1-888-888-5478 or email us at A representative would be happy to go over some of our newer options and get you set up with a proper account.

Answered 4 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy