Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/30/2013

I'm looking for a good handyman with reasonable prices to consult with on the feasibility/cost of a project.

I would like to alter the rise of our basement stairs, and it would really be good if I could engage someone for a reasonable price to look at the area to be altered and give some ideas and/or costs of doing the alteration. So far I haven't had much luck on my own of figuring this out. Mainly because I'm not that knowledgable in construction techniques. Presuming the cost would be acceptable I would like the alteration to be completed as soon as would be reasonable. Thx

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


Hello, this is Kiel with Angie's List. You'll want to log in at and search for the category Handymen to see our top rated providers in that area. You can also contact our call center at 1-888-944-5478 or send a written request to for more information.

Call center hours:

Mon-Fri: 8:30am – 8:15pm ET
Sat: 8:30am – 3:00pm ET

Thanks so much!

Answered 6 years ago by KielH


In general, most handymen probably would not do much better than you on this.

What you need is a general or framing carpenter, who could take measurements and tell you if you can reasonably do this - in most cases, involves significant work, and loss of some floor space on the overlying floor to get headroom, because the house is originally built to give just the minimum headroom over the stairs, so any flattening usually involves having to cut away some overhead floor area.

Therefore, usually the only cheap solution is to immediately curve or turn the stairs a couple of steps down from the top, usually with two landings and 90 degree turns to make it fit, and even that cannot be done in many houses without significant overlying floor beam modifications.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


Changing The Stair Pitch in any Structure is ALMOST an IMPOSSIBITY. As LCD mentioned unless you install several right anle Turns and accompaning Landings , it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to reset the Stair pitch . TOO MANY FACTORS are present that Must Be Overcomed to Allow the change without Drastically affecting the structure Design or Layout.

YES , It Has been DONE , but 99% of the time the change in STAIR Pitch has resulted in Massive Changes to the floor Plan and Framing of the Structure and in 99% of structures this change is NOT a Practical Matter !

The fact to Know and remember is this : Stairs are constructed by CODE REGULATIONS

which mandate the 7-11 rule , = 7 inches of Rise and 11 inches of Tread ,REPEATEDLY !

Then there ceiling height requirements that must be factured IN and IF you cannot meet the 7-11 Rule , the CEILING heights above stairs become in consequential !

Answered 6 years ago by BentheBuilder

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy