Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/30/2017

I need to hire someone to finish/fix a horrible bathroom renovation. Where do I start?

I mistakenly relied on co-workers' recommendations and the issues - both cosmetic and possibly structural - that need to be fixed are numerous. I'm not sure where to start to get info on project completion. My main concerns include:
- testing whether tub, toilet, sink, tile are indeed properly installed to not cause water damage when used
- removal of tile from one wall (tile was removed from 3 of 4 walls - one was just painted over)
- fixing/redoing a partial wall that was built for the shower (which is crooked)
- assessing any additional damage or issues that resulted from the poor workmanship

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Yeah - the old thing about keeping construction projects and friends/relatives separate hits again.

If you think structural issues exist - generally exterior walls or rotten or cut-through subfloor beams for instance, then having it looked at by an Architect (if you want redesign or interior design assistance too) or a Structrual Engineer (for structural issues only) would be a good idea - probably about $500-1000 for a normal bathroom-only situation. Unless he prior contractor cut into and removed portions of the subfloor or walls, or there is rotten wood from leakage, it is unlikely there are significant structural issues from a botched bathroom remodel.

The rest - reworking poorly or incorrectly done work, checking out the functionality of the alrewady done work, and completing the project - ifnot using an Architect, then your best bet is talking to several Remodeling - Kitchen and Bath contractors (your Search the List category) to define a scope of work (and put it in writing) for correction of incorrect work and for completion of the job. Because you are talking correcting a botched job, I really would recommend (assuming this is a major bathroom remodel) having an Architect prepare plans and specs for the work - this gives the bidding contractors a fixed scope of work to allow them to give you a fixed bid, because going with a cost-plus approach might cost you through the nose as the contractor keeps on bringing up more and more changes to the scope.

You did not specifically say if the botched job was by a contractor - but if so, before you start corrective work and destroy the evidence, you might consider filing a claim against his Bond to have the bonding company pay for the corrective work. That is what it is there for - assuming he was bonded. If not, it is possible you could file a claim against his insurance company for damages caused by him - a bit more iffy but many times they will settle to avoid the possibility of a suit.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy