Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/14/2013

I need a home health care aide for 87 yr old woman in Vero Beach, Fl. She needs a lot of help just to get out of bed and bathroom issues.

She has 24/7 live in help but recently she has become too weak to stand up and walk without more assistance than one person can give. She has vascular dementia and is very sweet almost all the time.

I need someone who can come in @3 times daily to help get her up, dressed, bathed etc.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Apologies for the delay in my response! I hope you were able to find what you were looking for in the mean time.

You can find a number of different options for providers of elder care in your area by logging on to and typing "elder" into the "Search the List" area:

If you would like to see some Angie's List search results for your area in this forum, please let me know by responding in line with this Q&A by submitting a new answer. You can also get help using Angie's List with a neighborhood specialist at 1-888-888-5478 or


Answered 7 years ago by JP


There is a federal program (I don't remember the name of it) that funds each county preparing an elder care guide and directory. Contact your county health department, and they should be able to give you a copy - typically a tabbed directory about 20-50 pages. It will like elder care organizations and public nursing facilities in your area, who should be able to give you recommended home care providers.

Word of mouth is also an excellent source - from someone who has actually used a particular provider, people at the senior center, etc. If she has dementia then you or someone is probably a conservator for her, so talk to the attorney who set that up - edler care attorneys commonly have a few personal home care assistants they recommend to their clients.

One thing to be sure of is that the provider is licensed, insured, and bonded with your city or county or state (who does the licensing varies by state), and run a background check to check for prior lawsuits, criminal record, etc.

Unless you are hiring a company (who then provides the employee), you will also have to arrange for payment of social security, disability, income, unemployment, etc taxes on the employee; and most likely get Workers Compensation coverage from your insurance provider. Don't fail to do these things if you hire someone - it can really come back to bite you later one, with severe penalties.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy