Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/4/2012

I am having my house resided and the contractor can not do it till spring but wants a cashiers check to hold until they do the job. Should

The contractor wants me to provide them with acashiers check for the full amount of the job - my ernest money I already gave them. They say they will hold it untill they do the job next May or June. Is this a common procedure? I have been dooped on my previous siding job and do not want it to happen again!

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


Absolutely not. In certain states this is illegal Under no circumstances do you pay the full amount in advance. Once he cashes the check you are out the money I would not do business with this company and I would demand my earnest money back and notify your Attorney General of this company and the way it does business.

Tom Ghysel

President Tom Ghysel Siding Inc.

Answered 7 years ago by tghysel


Never!!! It is common to get a down payment on a job that is scheduled out due to the contractor's backlog which saves your place in his job line-up but not that far out and nowhere near the full amount up front. That coupled with the requirement of a cashier's check screams scam. I'd bet if you did an online search about him you'll find several complaints. Check his record with the BBB and Angie's List.

Todd Shell
Todd's Home Services

Answered 7 years ago by Todd's Home Services


Run Away Fast - after you have gotten your earnest money back. If they will not return the earnest money within say 3 days (and tell them this is how long they have, if they say they cannot give it right back now when you cancel the contract) I would contact you state attorney general's office fraud unit, and I would probably also tell the contractor, if he does not return it, that you are filing a police fraud report and reporting him to the state licensing bureau.

Actually, if he has an office, I would go there personally to cancel the job and tell him you want the earnest money back. If he pays with a check, take it to HIS bank IMMEDIATLEY and cash it - that way if it bounces it is between him and them, you do not have to pay a bounced check fee as you would have to if you deposited it in your bank and it bounced. Keep a xerox of the check and any other paperwork you have for future issues.

Even if he does return it, I would report it to the state licensing bureau and put an appropriate commnent on Angie's List.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy