Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/23/2012

I'm looking for information on a product called "airvent" It is a slotted device that is installed on houses without soffet vents.

The product is a flat piece that appears to be about 1" thick x 4' long x 12" high. It lays on a slot that has been cut through the roof sheathing. There are baffles inside of the product to prevent rain, snow, and debris from getting in. The outer edge of the product is flush with the bottom edge of the roof, so that air can enter the product, pass through the slot in the roof boards, and exit through vents that are installed higher on the roof. The product is sold under a couple of names. One popular brand is called "the edge". It is designed to be installed on houses that were built without soffet vents. The object is to provide air flow to prevent mold in the attic, and to reduce the liklihood of ice dams.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

You can contact your local branch of ABC Supply co. or there catalog at there is some info there as well,I would also tell you to look at the GAF product called Fascia Vent,,it is a vented fascia board that i would trust better as far as leaking during a heavy rain or blowing rain..Fascia Vent is also is more ascetically pleasing to look at.It looks like a regular painted fascia board but with vents and it will flow better to i do believe..hope this helps..Ronnie Dunlap,,M&R Roofing,Bolivia NC..

Answered 7 years ago by Ronnie1970


"AirVent" actually is a manufacturer who makes numerous ventilation products. I believe what you are describing is called the Edge Vent, manufactured by Ait Vent, inc. If so, this product is used as an intake, when an intake can't be installed in your soffit/overhang, perhaps you have no overhang.

Sow hat is your question, it looks like you've already researched the product pretty thoroughly.

Does it work? We've got the edge installed on a couple of jobs and it seems to work pretty well. I'll be honest I was VERY hesitant at first as I can't see how snow and ice doesn't back up inside, but so far so good.

The key when it comes to ventilation is knowing the math. The biggest problem I see is undersized ventilation systems, all too often the roofer simply replaces what's already there. And usually the existing ventilation is undersized.

The 2nd biggest ventilation problem I see is the installation of a ridge vent as a one size fits all solution, which it is not. Ridge vent mustg have adequate intake, and sometimes there isn't adequate ridge length to install adequate ridge vent, meaning sometimes the ridge vent won't provide enough exhaust.


Answered 7 years ago by ReliableAmericanRoof

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy