Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/21/2015

I think this is a job for a plumber - but is it?

I have a leak in my shower. It has gotten so bad that the wood just outside of the house in that area is rotten and the ceiling in the kitchen (the shower is over the kitchen) also has wet spots and needs to be replaced. But I wasn't sure if this was a job for a plumber to come and inspect? And since the problem isn't readily visible (would need to tear the tile in the shower stall to see the problem), how would I be able to get an honest quote?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


You are probably goingto need a Remodeling - Kitchen and Bath general contractor for the repair - but to initially find the leak and determine if plumbing or leaking shower pan, I would have a Plumber look at it for about $75-150 typically - or even do yourself.

Since the underlying ceiling needs repair anyway, either open up a hole big enough to inspect through or drill about 1/2" hole and use COLOR fiber optic inspection camera (rent at tool rental, Home Depot, dsome auto parts stores for about $25/day or so) to find the source of the leak by tracing wetness and staining, or may need to run water to trace leak source. You will also be able to see if you have visible rot or fungal growth on the floor joists and subflooring (this of course assumes wood construction, not concrete or steel).

Then a plumber can fix if a piping leak, or probably a ceeramic tile contractor if shot shower pan - meaning probably improperly done in first place, so would likely need tearing out and replacement of shower floor if that is the case. General Contractor can handle all that with a subcontractor, plus replace rotten subflooring and wall areas, because this job calls for several trades. But the plumber is probably the best person to start with to locate the leak and determine if a shower rebuild will be needed or not.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy