Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 mygfcxx1 95
6 ahowell 95
7 KnowledgeBase 95
8 skbloom 80
9 Guest_98024861 70
10 Guest_9311297 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/12/2014

I have lost power to one half of my house

need an electrician in Hilton head

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Just join Angie's List, and find the best of the best. Real reviews , by real people, well worth the cost!


Answered 5 years ago by BayAreaAC


You have undoubtedly lost one side of the 220V feed - check with your neighbors first to see if they have lost it too (especially ones coming off the same transformer can or pedestal) because could be a power company line down - especially if you are having or just had high winds or heavy ice/snow. If the nearest neighbors have the problem but not ones several houses away, then probably the transformer that serves you and typically 3-5 other houses is damaged.

You could call power company (24 hours) to come out and check if your service drop or transformer is the problem, and if it is that is almost always their responsibility to fix - usually they will come out for free to check if you have a power outage, evenn if it turns out to be a problem in your house, though they will not diagnose WHERE in the house the problem is if that is the case. When you call their repair number, it may have a message that there are known power outages in your area, too, due to weather or someone hitting a power pole or tree down or someone digging into the line or bird got Cajun blackened on the power pole - whatever.

If they find incoming power supply is good, then you need to Search the List under the category Electrician. Generally not a big cost if it is just a bad connection - cost over about $150-250 usually only comes in if your distribution/breaker panel fried, in which case all your power would almost always be out.

If you want to be on the safe side, turn off your main house breaker - or at least keep power use to a minimum till problem is found, and note that you will not have range or electric clothes dryer or electric water heater (or maybe only half power there) and maybe furnace heat till fixed. I would also recommend disconnecting all electronic devices of value till fixed, because in the course of further failure or during repair you can get a surge that might take them out.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy