Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/12/2016

I have a lot of water under my crawl space that has been there for months. I have a infestation mosquitoes. No pump

What should I do to protect my family? My landlord is only speculating on his findings and the issues are unresolved.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


This sort of thing is a health issue - the property owner should get it taken care of unless you have a net lease that requires you to do all household maintenance, in which case your issue.

If due to one-time flooding (major storm, etc) should get it pumped and dried out ASAP - a Water and Smoke Damage contractor can do it, many Plumbaers can also put in a portable sump pump to dewater it and put in a large fan to circulate air to dry it out.

If due to poor outside drainage or roof runoff, then some local ditching or berming or surface grading may be needed to get/keep the water away from the house, and maybe gutters and dounspouts to catch and carry away roof runoff.

If due to high water table, then a sump pit and pump, commonly with a perimeter drain pipe layout just inside the foundation a foot or two to collect the water a foot or so down if the soil is not real permeable, would be the proper solution. In relatively high permeability soil with a water table that stays at least 3-6 feet below crawl space elevation a single deep sump pump on the water table high side, or in the center in flat water table areas, will sometimes work to pull the water table down a bit and reduce the moisture issue. In freer draining soil in areas subject to elevated water table in storms or wet season, and in low-permeability soils, a deliberate drain field of perforated drain pipes in drain/filter media in a deliberate sump pump and drain system is necessary.

Plus commonly a vapor barrier to limit humidity in that area, because unless you put in a real deep drain system (typically 3-10 feet deep depending on how fine grained the soil is - deeper with finer/clayier or silty soil) there will still be water wicking up in the soil, so even a concrete layer in the crawlspace can commonly still have a humidity problem because an on-grade slab can conduct water from the damp soil up through the slab to evaporate as much as 10-20 gallons of water vapor a DAY in warm conditions. Basement Waterproofing would be the normal Search the List vendor for that.

And of course good crawlspace ventilation (if not in the conditioned space) is critical to evaporating any moisture that does come up in the area. In high natural air humidity areas (like much of deep south) sometimes the humidity is so high it will not evaporate crawlspace moisture so you have to seal off the crawlspace from the outside and use a dehumidifier instead - in conjunction with a good vapor barrier of course to limit the amount of water vapor that has to be removed.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy