Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/27/2013

I want to move cable wires from a shared wall to a non shared wall in my house. Any suggestions on who to call?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I assume you mean cable TV or DSL wires. An electrical or communications wiring contractor can do this, or you can have the cable / telephone providing company do it (though they will charge you to move interior wiring).

A true move keeping the wires internal to the wall can result in a LOT of wall repair (several hundreds of $ for certain) to repair the access points for pulling the wire, unless they can get attic or basement access to run the wires to the point where you want them terminated. What they normally do it just run a surface wire on the outside wall of the building to a point outside where you want the new connection, then put a holethrough the wall to run the wire in, and (they should) caulk it inside and out. If they have outside or open-joist basement or attic access, then $100-200 should do it.

You don't say why you want to do this, but if is just because you want your TV or computer a different location, why not just go with a shielded extension cable of the right type and correct end connectors, which you can pick up at Radio Shack, Best Buy, Amazon, etc for about $10-20 for a 50 footer. Unless you have a very long existing cable run inthe house, this should work fine. Just plugs or snaps into the existing wall outlet, run along the baseboardl or tuck under the edge of the carpet (I would get a protective cable cover to cross doorways where it will get walked on), then relocate your computer/TV and cable box to the new location.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy