Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/18/2014

I have occassion water leak from 1st story window - water leaks upper right part of dry wall about window.

14 yr old vinyl siding house. Problem was noted first soon after moving in when built. Builder said was siding probem & paper was not placed properly. no problems until recently. Water only drips when heavy rain which is mostly directional. Drips from dry wall above window & now noticed more damage to dry wall. Window appears intack. I am worried problem still with original paper not being wrapped appropriately. is this most likel siding/paper problem or window problem. Who to call.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


This is probably a flashing tape/house wrap issue. It should not be a window issue.

If this is a new construction window with a nail fin the flashing tape/house wrap was installed incorreclty or not at all. To find out you would have to remove the siding above the window.

Answered 5 years ago by Guest_99157041


Since you said dripping at the top of and above the window, I doubt it is a window issue, although it could have been caused during window installation.

IF dripping/wet right at the top of the window, then top flashing/dripcap waterproofing and sealing would be most suspect - if the drywall is very wet more than a couple inches above the window I would lean toward a roof leak coming down the underside of the sheathing then dripping into the wall at the bug screening, or a siding/housewrap/paper overlap issue. Either way, a Siding contractor should be able to solve it.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy