Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/25/2014

I'm opening a mental health center but was told I'll need a contractor, what permits are needed to function ?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Boy, you need a professional in medical facility development to help with this. You will need building permits to prepare the building - start with an architect with medical facility design experience. You will almost certainly first need a Planning and Zoning approval for the facility - either a blanket approval if in approved zoning area, or a zoning waiver or exemption if the property is not zoned for that type of use - usually Medical an Institutional category or something similar, then a Building Permit once the construction or remodel plans are done by the architect.

For the facility operation itself you will of course need appropriate licensed professionals, a state license for a medical facility (and city and/or county too in some areas), probably a country or city health department license, a business license, then the necessary state and federal licenses and permits to prescribe controlled substances ... then of course your employer ID number from the IRS and state and federal employer registration and account setup as an employer for you to deposit employee tax withholding and such ... then of course insurances,financing, etc

Your planning and zoning department might be able to give you a small start on building construction/remodel permit needs and maybe the health department for medicall facility permit needs, but I really think a professional architect and probably a medical facility planner (or an architecture/planning firm specializing in medical startups, if in a larger city) is going to be mandatory for you if you have not done this before.

If you check mental health publications, and google for phrases like this you will find some ideas on what you need too - mental health clinic startup - looks like a bunch or professional organizations have put articles out there on that very subject

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy