Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/16/2014

I need a painter to prep and paint our iron railings.

The railings are rusted so prep is necessary. I would specifically like to have someone recommended that is well versed working with iron. In the past I have had a house painter do this and it has turned to rust quickly. We live near the ocean so a good prep is necessary.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!

Voted Best Answer

You need them sandblasted/shot blasted first - I would google for local Wrought Iron and Iron Fence/Stair shops that do in-house fabrication and repair - most of them do this - usually dismount the railings, take to shop to clean and prime and paint, then bring back and remount, fixing mounting bolts as necessary. Typically about $150-250 per section, very rough ballpark. Less if something like an entire porch worth or entire pool fence, for instance.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


I failed you on my prior answer - forgot to say anything about the type of finish to use.

For Handyman/DIY without sand or shot blasting, so only the loose rust is removed with a rust remover like Naval Jelly or with wire brush or rust remover disc in a grinder or with sandpaper, which of course means the return of rust is likely sooner (though not as soon as if you just slop some latex or acrylic on it), you want to prime with a fish oil based Rusty Metal Primer like Rustoleum (my favorite for homeowner one-component paints on metal), then two coat with a same manufacturer enamel or acrylic enamel for use on metal. Note the Rusty Metal Primer takes DAYS of drying till totally cured so will need protection from blowing sand and salt air and such but still needs airflow, so tenting with a porous fabric like old sheets or such works best. A step up is to go with a compatible rusty metal primer (NOT Fish Oil with epoxy - wont bond) and surface finish 2-component epoxy system, but two-component epoxies have a limited pot life so are messier to work with and take more skill because you have to work faster, brushes are not cleanable, and a LOT messier to clean up if you get on other things nearby.

PS - if into DIY AND you have a fair sized air compressor (check cfm rating), there are handheld sand blasting units that need about 6 cfm for under $30 that would do a fair job for you, though slower than full sized unit of course - though those take full-sized large tank compressor putting out about about 10-20 cfm depending on unit and cost about $60-100 not including sand.

For professional hob, sand or shot blasting to bare metal, a Bare Metal Primer (preferably zinc chromate based in your type area because acts like galvanizing) followed by epoxy or polyurea finish 2 coats. Can also go with Powder Coated Epoxy, which is an electrostatic applied finish more like what is commonly used on heavy equipment and care frames - bonds almost like a ceramic finish. Hot dipped galvanizing floowed by epoxy paint can also be used, but about twice the cost for the finishing part so normally only done on commercial and tourist facility jobs.

There are other highly resistant professionall systems out there so listen to what they advise, but I would NOT go with just a normal overcoat spray paint job like an auto body or ordinary paint shop would do - you need the rust resistant primer and a tougher top coat to resist scratches or it will start rusting within a couple of years.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


it needs to be a primer than put enamel paint or oil based paint needs to be applied

Source: I've been painting for 20 years I can come do it anytime

Answered 6 years ago by Dannycombs

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy