Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/5/2011

I want to patch and caulk my home both to conserve energy and to ensure I do not get critters in my home. What type of contractor is best?

My home is a Sears home built in 1930.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers

Voted Best Answer

You would consider hiring any general contractor or handymanservices that understands the complete function of a house. I would suggest youlook at any of the energy programs within your state. You do not want to spend yourmoney unwisely. You can caulk and seal all the windows, doors and cracks inyour house but it may not make much of a difference in conserving energy. Infact over the years it has been determined that some repairs have createdunsafe situations in the average home. For example, excessive sealing up of ahome can cause a backdrafting situation in your gas appliances flue. This meansyou can potentially be exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning. The contractorneeds to have the ability to do more extensive testing with something like ablower door. This helps to put the house in a depressurized state, exposing thetrue infiltration points within the structure. You can contact me directly ifyou need more information on the state programs.


Answered 8 years ago by Stans HVAC


I would hire either a good painter or handy man that is skilled in caulking. Caulking is one thing, but the prep to make sure the caulk sticks is another. Most of the time it's just a simple power washing of the house and then let it dry for a day or two. Appling the caulk and making sure it was done around all windows, doors and opening that you can see. Also, ask what the painter/handyman would do if the opening is larger than 1/4". Anything over a 1/4" needs to be filled with a product called "backer rod" it is a sterofoam material that is wedged into the opening so the caulk isn't the material to only fill that large gap. This allows the caulk to propery bond and not sag do it's job.
I hope this helps.
David Sturm
Attention to Detail Home Remodeling
Roswell, GA


Answered 8 years ago by Davidshammer


A handy man is not the answer to the question that you have asked. To find out where the true air leaks are, and to be able to figure out what needs sealing and insulating, you would benefit from having a blower door test performed by a home performance contractor. Usually this is the better HVAC company in your area. They will come with specific equipment designed to locate these problems. As a side note, most states help pay for these things to be completed if done through a home performance specialist with certain grants and tax credits. This will also ensure that you save the most money and require the least amount of energy to keep you comfortable.

Answered 8 years ago by GlennJr

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy