Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/2/2013

I need a patio spigot replaced pipe and all. Do I need a plumber or a handyman?

The pipe sticking out of the wall has an old and tampered with spigot, and I think it might need to be cut off, rethreaded, and replaced with a new spigot.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

If it is threaded pipe, and the pipe extends through the wall an inch or more, all it may take unless the pipe is badly corroded is a coupel of pipe wrenches and swapping out the faucet (with the water source turned off at the main shutoff valve, of course).

If you are in an area where it gets below freezing at night you should have a frostless hose bib - it extends over a foot into the house (usually into a garage or inside a perpendicular wall) to the actual shutoff "valve" point, and the foot + of pipe from there to the outside wall and the actual faucet handle (which is connected with a long shaft through the pipe) drains out when the handle is shut off, so there is no water near the outside wall to freeze, though should still have a foam protective cover put over it in winter to be on the safe side.

Since the installed connection for this is inside the house, I would use a plumber rather than a handyman - I am not enamored of handyman pipe fitting or soldering capabilities, and if it leaks it will do so inside the house.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


If you purchase the spigot yourself, you can call a handyman.

If you want the spigot purchased by the repairman, you must call a plumber.


A handyman (depending upon state & local laws) is not allowed to bill you for material purchased.

Unless the law in your area is different, only a licensed contractor or other licensed person is allowed to bill for the material.

Thus, a trip to Lowes, Home Depot, or even a specialty plumbing supply store (where you can get some great buys) may be in order. In fact, you may even learn to do it youself. Then you can help a neighbor and become a hero.

Or heroine.

Answered 6 years ago by ProfessorWonderful

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy