Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/21/2014

I believe we have a plumbing problem behind a wall causing damage to bathroom wall and ceiling below.

Is it best to hire one contractor/handyman or hire a plumber and wall/plaster man separately?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Voted Best Answer

My recommendation - get the leak opened up and fixed by a plumber ASAP, then assess the amount of damage. Getting a GC in up front makes it impossible to reasonably price the job because you do not know how much trouble it will be to fix the leak, if there is mold to be remediated, if maybe it dripped long enough to rot joists, and of course all that controls how much drywall repair and painting will be needed.

Solve the leak first, then assess what else needs to be done when it can be seen well enough to get fixed price bids - from just leaving open for a week or two to dry out then getting a drywall contractor and painter to repair (or maybe a handyman to do both if top notch drywall finishing is not required), or if you need a full blown general contractor or fire and water damage remediation company for mold, rot or damage repair - in which case you will undoubtedly be working through your insurance company anyway, unless this was a case of long-term progressive, damage, which is usually excluded from coverage.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy