Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/27/2011

I trying to get a price for an A/C Central unit 3.5 tons that is camparable to a Carrier air handler, in the St Petersburg, Florida area

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


before I could answer your question I need to know how big is your air handler and what kind of feon in the unit. If your unit is 22 you get a dry charged condenser which is made to replace 22 condensing units or your other choice is to go 410 and replace both in and out units staying with a brand unit like standard air, ruud or braint. for about 3800.00 install if you go with a DRY CHARGED unit in the range of 1500.00 installed.

Raymond Gonzalez

Koolray Heating and Air



Answered 9 years ago by Raymond Gonzalez


Your probably going 3.5 ton is about 4000 is what I paid I live in Pasco but get three companies and what ever you do do not give any money up front when they finish you pay them and be sure they get a permit otherwise you nothing to fall back on. Hope this helps

3.5 ton with new air handler...........................Bob T


Answered 9 years ago by Bobby


Although unscrupulous contractors and manufacturers would recommend an R-22 system to be replaced with a dry charged unit, what they are really offering is an increase cost to you. The government has made a few laws which bring this into a legality question. Any system old today is supposed to reach the 13 SEER rating. The manufacturer's are not aloud to produce any equipment that has Freon, or R-22 in it, so they came up with dry charged units ( which means they have no oil or Freon in them). The contractor then is supposed to weigh in the exact amount of oil, and add the exact amount of refrigerant to the system. This allows for alot of errors, and I do not know any reputable Companies who would do this, and put their name and reputation behind such a temporary repair. The correct way is to MATCH a new indoor unit with an outdoor unit and have them correctly sized by a professional. I personally very frequently change the size of units because over sizing is worse than under sizing a unit. It is not like cars or trucks where over sizing is a choice. By the way, R-22 is becoming an obsolete refrigerant just like the r-12 that was used in cars years ago. For your own reference I would look up the current price of 1lb. or r-12 today.

Answered 9 years ago by GlennJr

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy